Saturday, April 17, 2010

Dead center of luxor

The walk near Karnak Temple.
I walked from my flat near the temple of Luxor following the new dig for the avenue of the Spinx on arriving at the main road that leads out of Luxor towards the airport i decided to take a short cut to the Nile River and finish the walk to Karnak. then I saw some goats going down a track to the back of the police station, this building is the living quarters for the police rookies. officers take rooms in hotels such as the Wena (luxor hotel) so it looks like the rookies live in squalor like they did at home.














following mummy daddy and kid goat for a short while until they headed off into some derelict building. unable to read Arabic i continued my walk, the piece of stone is a headstone but says its a cemetery so I was informed as I got into the cemetery.














on the path into the main grave area there was a lot of these high walled areas some had doors on not sure if they are there to keep people in or out. maybe the still have tomb robbers here and some folks here have more gold in their mouths than King tut had around his neck.



'











the main grave area and it seemed like I had come to a dead end " excuse the pun"
then I noticed a cactus with a flower on it so headed in the direction to get a photo to add to the
http://egyptplants.blogspot.com/
not sure what the dome building is could be a mausoleum for one of the imams?
















Then I saw the weirdest thing ever, I know the Egyptian only do things if there is a gain in it, hence the dilapidated state of the graveyard;
Here behind the mosque is an entrance, and my way out, but just incase I need some food and refreshment is a breakfast kitchen unit the person who serves has the use of one of the gravestones to stand on to serve his gourmet delight, then out of nowhere like all Egyptians have this canny knack of hiding in wait for a passing tourist, money he said. oh" but I see no bodies.
looking rather puzzled he said this is place for dead people. yes" I said" I gathered that seeing all the headstones, and what is your job here I asked, still looking rather puzzled the guy said falafel. ah you have the food place, and made the known food gesture, could see his face turn to a smile, so I turned on my little Arabic talk. how much,? 20 Jenine. and what will I get for 20
no thank you I said and walked on leaving the poor man totally confused on him missing out on 2 days wages, outside the mosque I saw A guy who I had met some two years ago who could speak some little English. helloo Mustafa, ah and the usual kissing greeting took place like I was some long lost freind returning to maybe put some money in his pocket, I could not remember the guys name I never forget a face but names? one reason is they are all Mohamed, Mustafa or Amed. so saying one of these names gives me a 3 to 1 chance of being right.
as soon as the banter was changing to come to my home have some chai. I was off, no time whats you name again I asked, Ali he said and who are you? I give up. said my goodby's and went on my merry way.















Like me, most locals know my face and treat me as a long lost Friend who may have given them money sometime in the past, In the hope I will give them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am retired . i came to Egypt after many years doing voluntery work here I refurbished the clinic in Daraw worked there for 6 months and fell in live with Egypt, I then came back to egypt on a holliday and stayed, I was about to retire for health reasons and egypt was the country with a low humidity for my authric condition, I met avery nice taxi driver , and because he was poor and I needed a home here I tried to help him and his family. he on the other hand was a swindler and before long after he swindled me out of my life savings, I found ot he wAS a drug addict with an addiction to opium,an alcoholic , a blackmarketeer in pharaonic items, and since taking him to court he has added a few more things to his credit, he bribes he pays for protection some call it mafia I call it thugery, a forger and a blackmailler. this once nice little man has dcided to be all changed and turned to islam and now he has a nice business can pay me back in instalments totaling the equivellant of 3000 sterling per year, thats 1000 less than i would get in a savings account and three thousand less if H borrowed the money from A bank,